Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Success Through Confidence Series Part 16: Ten Worst Interview Blunders

The interviewer doesn’t know you and you’ve really got to work at the impression you make Please avoid these mistakes if you want to at least be respected during and after your interview.

Blunder #1: “My alarm clock didn’t go off!”

Blunder # 2: Being rude to the secretary/receptionist
Treat each individual in the recruitment process with respect, from the secretary to the test administrator, or you may find yourself out the door before you even get through it.

Blunder # 3: “Sorry, I haven’t had time to Google you yet.”

Blunder # 4: “I single-handedly doubled my company’s profits last year.”
If you’re applying to a job where teamwork is a must you might even consciously exchange the word ‘I’ for ‘we.’

Blunder # 5: The salary minefield
Please don’t make this an issue and be pushy about it – do your research about the market rate and approach it professionally.

Blunder # 6: “My last boss was such a jerk!”

Blunder # 7: “You mean this is not a therapy session?”
The interviewer doesn’t want to hear about your miserable childhood, your failed marriage or your ongoing relationship problems.

Blunder # 8: And you keep going…and going…and going…
Keep your answers short but informative, and finish with, “Would you like me to elaborate on that?”

Blunder # 9: “I don’t really have any weaknesses.”
Be forthright and self-critical, and never mind fake weaknesses. If you’re not good at managing your time, say so but also say what you’re doing about it.

Blunder # 10: Desperation
It’s always a good idea to send a note after the interview thanking the employer for taking the time to talk to you. If you really feel you didn’t do too well, send a note saying. “I believe I didn’t do as well in the interview as I could have. Here are a few things I don’t think I articulated very well.” Keep it short and factual, and then wait three or four days to call, unless they tell you they’re just not interested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home