Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Writing, Malaysian Style.

I was just talking to a friend the other day about her exams. She is currently pursuing her MIM in a higher educational institution. She told me she had finished writing her answers to the questions in the first half hour, and she spent the rest of the hour just staring blankly at the paper and going through random thought in her mind.

She felt guilty to leave the examination hall early because she felt that all her course mates had so much to write about. And then I asked her about her answers, and how sure she was about her answers. She said all her answers were correct, because the moment she left the exam hall, she got her textbook and looked it up.

Then she said, “I really don’t know what this people were writing about, I mean the answers are pretty straightforward.”

I informed her that it is not them, but it is the system. When in school, my teachers have always looked at the quantity of words as opposed to the quality of the written work. Their perception has been, the more you write, the better grades you score. Even when writing English essays, my teachers would expect pages and pages of just one essay.

This habit is carried by the Malaysians wherever we go. We try to complicate things, and make sentences sound as complex as we possibly can, because then, we would sound smart.

Don’t! Stop!

Do not complicate sentences by using bombastic words and connectors. It is not necessary. As long as what is written is understood, and you are not involved in creative writing, do not try to use metaphors and flowery language if it is not needed. When writing, always opt for simple, uncomplicated language. This will minimize the errors, and the intended message will get through the audience effectively. The most important element to remember when writing is to express your message clearly, because it is not the same as speaking to someone. When speaking, you are able to clarify your thoughts, but when reading a piece of writing, the audience will only rely on their interpretation of what is written. If you bear this in mind every time you write, rest assured, you will be able to write effectively every time.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At July 15, 2008 at 4:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very true indeed. For me, I used to do that too, thinking my essays would look more presentable. But you're right, what for I make them flowery when simple English is all it takes to produce a beautiful piece of article.

 
At July 17, 2008 at 10:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't understand why Malaysia Education System has never change. That's why Malaysian like to write a lot of theories. And not being direct and deliver the clear message. I can't understand the teacher in school aslo. They have so much patient to read the long easy. *Sign*

 
At July 21, 2008 at 12:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very true. Though I'm glad that my teachers were different. They would always say do not overwrite as the more you write, the more mistakes you make. Sadly, there are still students who feel that flowery writing will get them higher marks even after the teachers advice. Maybe its not the system. It is just in the way Malaysians think and the culture that we practice.....

 
At July 25, 2008 at 7:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Malaysian tend to adopt the character of our neighbour (little country next to us) -- "Kiasu".

The more you have the better you are. the more you write the knowledgeable you are. (perception)

 
At July 27, 2008 at 6:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

True! Very true! Last time, I was in secondary school, my teachers always taught me that when I am not sure with the answer, write the whole entire things that you have learn. At least, I will get some marks from there and pass the paper...Malaysia Education System!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home