Thursday, June 5, 2008

You Say What?!

Lately, I have had to work with quite a few fresh graduates – and the experience has left me wondering if I’m in a foreign land. It’s not because speaking to them is a new and exotic experience, but because the English spoken seems foreign enough. This makes me think – what’s happening in schools and local universities?

I’ve heard of teachers who suffer trying to instill basic language skills in their students, worried that they will not do well in their English exams. However, when the results are announced, these students will be awarded A’s, but don’t reflect the results at all. So much has been said about the importance of English. The Maths and Science subjects were supposed to have been taught in English – how many schools carried it out?

Have you taken a look at the standard of English used in some of these text books? It’s enough to make you faint. I have also heard that there are some lecturers who refuse to speak in English and are very adamant about it. How can the learning begin when the teaching or teachers in this case refuse to budge?

Labels:

6 Comments:

At June 5, 2008 at 9:32 PM , Blogger Captain Jack Sparrow said...

Well said, our education systems really need to be overlooked at. To much Theory but no Practical application!!!

 
At June 5, 2008 at 10:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to believe when I say I know exactly what you mean. I can't say that my English is excellent but I honestly feel that my English is better than the teachers in schools these days. My aunt used to be an English teacher and when she saw my essay book and my teacher's correction of my essay she was shocked. What was actually fine at first sounded totally wrong after she corrected my essay. And the fact that even my friends ask me instead of my teacher for help is mere proof of the proficiency of our teachers.

 
At June 6, 2008 at 3:04 PM , Blogger kkng67 said...

I may be out of touch with local university education OR i may have a sober understanding of WHAT education is. What's startling is local University lecturers are using BM to teach text that is in English E.g. Math & Science. Students are retranslating English text into BM for better understanding. Is Kementerian Pendidikan not aware of this?

 
At June 7, 2008 at 2:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the education system never change. The quality of the fresh graduates will drop tremendous.

 
At June 13, 2008 at 6:24 PM , Blogger Ms Yati said...

Yes EC, this covered the reality. Getting an 'A' does not mean that you're the best. In corporate working world, you'll realize that it's gonna be totally different..and guess what the 'A' that you get will not help much..

 
At June 26, 2008 at 10:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Govenment,

Please wake up and it is tme to get to work for the future of Malaysia.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home